Author’s disclaimer: I graduated from Batesville High School, and currently have one child in the district, with two more on the way. I am the ideal yes voter for the upcoming millage. Additionally, I am on the Buildings and Grounds Steering Committee, which researched and provided guidance on the millage proposals. With that said, I spent many days researching facts I considered relevant to the issue and made reasonable attempts to present them in an unbiased manner.
If you would like to further research this issue, please see my sources, linked below.
- This article mentions 2008 quarter of a cent sales tax hike for incentives to attract industry https://www.kait8.com/story/23222007/pilgrims-pride-in-batesville-closing/
- Batesville voters said no to $45M center and ball fields – 2010 https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2010/aug/15/batesville-voters-defeat-proposed-tax-20100815/
- Batesville voters said yes to a one-cent tax hike $25M center and ball fields and new soccer fields – 2012 https://www.kait8.com/story/22694709/batesville-unveils-baseball-park-plans-progresses-with-other-facilities/
- Total bonded debt for Arkansas public school districts http://dese.ade.arkansas.gov/public/userfiles/Fiscal_and_Admin_Services/Publication%20and%20reports/Indebtedness/FY18_Indebtedness_Book_and_Graphs.pdf
- School, city and county millage rates in Arkansas for 2018 https://www.arkansasassessment.com/media/1310/2018-millage-report-2019-collections.pdf
- Community center case study which mentions number of members https://achi.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/190916A_HAA_SLN_Batesville_Case_Study_Final.pdf